With not a whole lot more work to do on the frame (sand and do a bit more lashing) I decided to do the plastic wrap test. In other words, wrap the frame up with plastic and tape to see how it works in the water!! Cheryl picked me up 7 meters of "medium" weight plastic and, using Gorilla Tape, we set to "skinning" the new boat. Nothing fancy but it worked!!
We extracted the boat from the attic via the stairs and front window - just like with my Point Bennett back in April. Tied it to the car and headed for Healey's Pond for a quick test.
|Wrapped and ready to leave the attic.|
The masik is a little low so I can't get in like I do with my other boats. I even manged to fit my feet in eventhough I was wearing my booties. I was afraid they'd be too clunky to fit.
First thing we all noticed was the VERY low freeboard - about 1.5" at the sheer by my hips. Still, I was able to take the boat for a paddle and managed to keep water from shipping in. The additional height of the cockpit coaming will help with this. While paddling, I was unable to edge at all but the boat turned nicely.
Cheryl shot a short video of me on the first paddle. Here's the link - Disko Bay plastic wrap test
|Just sittin' Dig the demon eyes!!|
|Dumping the water.|
|The last drops!|
|I was "bouncing" the frame here. There's little bit of flex but nothing much.|
|As she floats "unloaded"|
By the way, for anybody wondering, the frame (sans cockpit coaming) is weighing in at 19 lbs!!!