Sunday, October 2, 2011

Absence makes the heart grow fonder . . .

There's an old saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder. In other words, if you're without something for a while, you'll find that you really like it or miss it!!  Today was the first time in some time that I took the Point Bennett (PB) out for a cruise. With the Disko Bay being the "latest thing", I've spent more time playing with it, figuring out its idiosyncrasies and trying to make it comfortable. In the meantime I've forgotten how the PB feels on the water. I've spent a fair bit of time/effort making the PB fit me and today, when I sat the cockpit, it all came back.  "Hand in a glove" is a term used to describe two things that fit well together. When I sat in my PB today, that is how I felt. I was home. I was comfortable.

PB waiting to hit the water at St. Philips

Today was an easy paddle. I sat in the back of the group and just tooled along - enjoying the lovely warm day, the bounce of the water. No need to push.  We had a headwind on the way up but nothing serious. On the trip back we had a following sea. I caught a few good waves and was quickly reminded how fast this boat can be. "Rocket" comes to mind!!  No skeg in a following sea means you have to rely on edging for control - maybe a bit of paddle rudder to keep you on track. All was good.

Today was a good day to remember that the PB is a damn fine boat to paddle - real sea boat!!

Sean


No comments:

Post a Comment