With the interior of the hull glassed, the next step was to move onto the deck. Saturday AM I did some more mouldings around the house. It was not going very well - eventhough I managed to finish the baseboards in the upstairs hall. Saturday afternoon saw me back in the attic - ready to tackle the deck!!
I used the same tactic with the deck that I did with the hull, i.e., let the strips run off the edge and trim them later. Makes for a much quicker job!!
Below are a few shots of the progress made on Saturday afternoon.
|It was St. Paddy's Day so that actually is a pint of Guinness in the mug!! The first of too many for the day/night!|
|What I call the the "pixelated deck" because it looks like an image with very low resolution and therefore blocky!!|
|Showing the cockpit template.|
Things were going great until I hit the transition from rounded deck to flat deck - right at the aft of the cockpit!! A fair bit of twisting of the strips was required!
|Brace and strap used to keep the back deck flat.|
|And clamps used to keep the strips tight while the glue set. The staples did not have sufficient holding power.|
|Half way done!!|
I managed to get half of the back deck completed before supper but knowing that I could do it once meant I could do it again - and in half the time. After a feed of BBQed burgers and homemade fries, I took another pint of Guinness with me and headed back to the attic. In jig time I had the second half completed!
The remainder of Saturday night was spent partaking of various St. Patrick Day libations. A little reward for a job well done on the deck! Besides, I needed to get out of the attic and socialize a little more!!
Sunday was a bit of a break from the boat. Cheryl and I spent the afternoon by ourselves in town. A little walk around downtown and a coffee. It was nice to get out!!
Monday was a Provincial Gov. holiday - yippee. The weather wasn't particularly nice so it was a good day to work on the boat.
In the morning I trimmed the wild edges of the deck and scraped/sanded the inside. After lunch I glassed the interior. It was rather uneventful. Must say that the pine looked nicer than I thought it would when wetted out. This part of the boat will hardly ever be seen so I saw no need to pigment the epoxy.
|Deck inverted and laid in the hull while I glassed it!!|
|Cockpit cutout - the underside!|
The plans call for deck plates rather than hatches. I went with 8" Bomars with integral locks.
|8" Bomar deck plate with lock.|
|Inverted deck laid in the hull.|
After the glassed deck dried, I had to flip it and put it back in place - just to make sure nothing went out of whack during the glassing. All still fits nicely!
|Deck back in place - from the stern.|
|Cockpit from the stern.|
|From the bow.|
All in all, a good long weekend's work.
Thanks for dropping by,