Well, it's been two weeks since my last blog entry. It's a been two weeks of sanding and prepping for painting.
I decided that I wanted a little extra protection on the stems so I ran some 6oz x 2" tape up each end. I filled the tape with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica for better abrasion resistance. I even managed to feather the tape so that it's not visible.
|Tape being feathered but not yet finished..|
With the stems taped, I moved onto the final sanding. Not much to say other than I went through a lot of paper and time before I came to a point where I was satisfied with the finish. When you go with gloss black you have to be prepared for the paint to show up every blemish and imperfection!!! In the images below the boat looks a dull grey. If I were to wet it out with water, it would go a deep satin black. Very nice looking.
I wanted to be able to paint both the hull and deck at the same time so I rigged up a kayak rotisserie where I could paint the hull then rotate the boat to paint the deck.
|The Grey Pearl!! Prepped for painting.|
|The cockpit coaming is not yet finished but still looks good. Inside will painted as well so it'll look a lot neater than this once completed.|
|The Grey Pearl on the rotisserie.|
|Upside down and ready to paint.|
I'm going with Interlux Brightside - a one part polyurethane paint. It's pretty easy to use and gives a nice deep, high gloss finish.
|White "globe" in the middle of the image is a dust particle reflecting from the camera flash.|
|Rotated and deck finished. Bow view.|
|From the stern.|
|Stern shot - showing nice gloss!!|
|Aft deck, deck plate opening and cockpit.|
|Cockpit coaming and foredeck.|
I have not decided how many coats of paint will be required. The first coat went on with amazing coverage as the boat was already black underneath. I'm thinking that two more coats will give a very deep coating.
We're in the home stretch now.
Thanks for dropping by,