With the boat now inside, I can get down to brass tacks, as they say!! I needed to decide on a cockpit size and shape. One of my main beefs with this boat before was the over sized cockpit. This time I've opted for a true keyhole shape. I scoured the Internet and found two separate templates that, when combined, gave me the exact shape I wanted. (One of the templates was from Bryan Hansel's Sisiwkit LV and the other was from a kayak built by John Coppens.) After piecing them together I saw that the resulting shape is almost identical to the NDKs. I downloaded the images of the coamings and using Photoshop I scaled them up to 100%. Then it was just a matter of gluing the template to the 1/2" MDF.
The title of this post is "Designing and Building by the Seat of my Pants" by which I mean I have no set plans for this project. I am, for all intents and purposes, making everything up as I go along. I simply decided upon a general deck shape and starting drawing up forms based on that. Deck height was determined without even trying it to see if it will be OK. The three images below show some up the initial setup to determine the deck shape and such.
|Coaming and deck height testing!|
|Determining the fore deck shape.|
|Testing how the strips will fit around the coaming template!!|
Once I had the forms cut and in place for the fore deck and the cockpit template in place, it was time to start putting on some strips. The stripping went pretty much without incident. Luckily everything lines up nicely and the transition from fore deck to aft deck went smoothly (something that I had a bit trouble with when I built the Black Pearl) I'm guessing that stripping the whole deck took no more than 4 hours in total.
|Letting the strips run long. They will be trimmed later.|
|Fitting the strips around the coaming.|
|Fore deck completed.|
|Aft deck waiting in the wings!!|
|Showing the new curved sheer of the aft section.|
I must admit that I am quite pleased with the new shape of the boat. The resulting curve from dropping the sheer at midships really adds to the look. The fore deck is a combination of flats and curves on the cross section that will really show up once I start to sand and will be even more evident when painted. And the smaller cockpit is more fitting to the new look as well.
All in all, I'm a happy camper. Next step is sanding the interior of the deck and then glassing it!
Thanks for dropping by,